Thursday 15 November 2012

All New X-Men has the X-factor

So i've decided to kick off my Marvel NOW journey with All New X-Men #1 and what better place to start. I've had my hit and miss moments with the X-men in recent years - with Cyclops in particular, but this first issue has pretty much restored my faith.

Fresh off the heels of AvX and Scott's reign of terror, Bendis is beginning to take us back to the core of the X-men in an attempt to restore it's original values and ideals - which its recent incarnations appear to have forgotten (not that i'm bitter or anything...). However this will be a battle from 3 sides...

So to the present, and cue Scott, Emma and Magneto attempting to track down mutants discovering their powers, and offering them a safe haven.
As I said in my 'slanderous' account of AvX, i'm Team Scott, so I was pretty happy to see him taking this route...in my eyes he doesn't have to atone for anything, but hey.

Lest we not forget the new leaders of the pack. Storm, Bobby, Kitty and Beast still provide a very strong backbone for what's left of the X-Men, and Storm brings her weatherbitch fierceness in a way that I don't find annoying surprisingly ..and I really think that this is an Ororo that I can actually begin to like (Halle Berry ruined her for me soz). And for the first time I feel like their all on an even footing - they're all gonna bring something to this fight.

And finally the golden oldies. I've always been a major fan of the original X-Men lineup (Bobby Bobby everywhere..) so it was great to see them together again in all their glory. I also think it's a great way to bring back Jean without her being to annoying and phoenixy and to reassemble a team that we tend to forget about and no long really associate each other with. I really hope that they take their own stance on the events (in other words, i'm not very keen for them to team up with Wolverine)


So those are the contestants, lets move on.
The artwork of Immonen, Grawbadger and Gracia is strong, really strong, and the type of work that i've come to expect from some of the best X-Men issues. It's vibrant, consistent, dazzling, yet dark and the double page spread in which we witness a new mutants powers first appearing is pretty electric. Basically, I love it.

ANXM#1 is definitely at the top of my Marvel NOW list so far, and with Bendis behind the wheel, i'm pretty sure that the best is yet to come (cheesy much?).


So what would doom do? he'd find himself a nice little spot on his doom shaped sofa and be prepared to dig deep, cause a lot of time and money is about to be reinvested into our favourite misunderstood mutants.

No comments:

Post a Comment